AdSense

Friday, March 9, 2007

Old Cucumber Soup
老黄瓜汤


We love soup! I spend a lot of money on gas making soup because I brew it for at least 4 hours! My boy knows it if I took a short cut. Then he won't even drink it. Well maybe he still does drink half a bowl to give me 'face'. hahaha ...

Anyway, this vegetable I'm using is called 老黄瓜 in Chinese. It looks like a bigger version of cucumber but with brownish-yellow slightly rough, crinkle skin. It's called Old Yellow Cucumber translated directly. I haven't had a clue what its proper English name is. Anyone drop me note if you know.

Ingredients:
  • Old Yellow Cucumber, washed, sliced in big chunks and seeds removed.
  • 1 piece dried octopus, cut into pieces
  • 5 red dates, stoned
  • 250g pork ribs
  • 2 litre water
  • Salt to taste

How to do it:
  1. Blanched the pork ribs.
  2. Put all ingredients except salt in a pot and bring to boil.
  3. Once the water starts to boil, turn down the fire to low.
  4. Brew for at least 4 hours (to bring out the flavour).
  5. Add salt to taste.
  6. Serve.
Note:
The meat from the cucumber is so well cooked that it just 'melt' in your mouth!

4 comments:

  1. So coincidence, I made this soup today too. But I just have pork ribs and dried dates only. Wow u cook four hours I short cut two hours only but twins still give face and finished all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yah, I cook like yours sometimes too. I add wolfberries in sometimes too.

    All my soup are either double-boiled or brew for 4-5 hours leh. Maybe used to the taste already.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mdm 2359
    Hahahaha ... you should know very well lah. ;p

    ReplyDelete