AdSense

Friday, March 14, 2008

Mars Puff Balls


I realised I didn't post this. This was done quite some time back. To be exact, during Chinese New Year period as an experiment and it turn out very well.

It all started with the left-over pineapple tart's crust dough and a bag of Mars Minis we bought during Christmas. I got this idea from the pineapple cocoon.

But I got to warn you first if you are going to try this. It keeps exploding like a volcano with sticky caramel chocolate. It was better on my second batch. The trick is, make the crust thin and bake on low heat. So the puff balls will be baked before they explode. At most you get are crack lines.

The is definitely for those with sweet tooth, like me! Try eating it after it has cooled slightly. Love the oozing chocolate! But be careful. It's still hot.


Ingredients:
  • 250g Butter
  • 2 tablespoon Sugar
  • 1/4 teaspoon Salt
  • 1 Egg
  • 400g All Purpose Flour
  • Mars, chopped into about 1.5cm cubes
  • Some regular white sugar or brown sugar

How to do it:
  1. Beat butter, sugar and salt till creamy.
  2. Add egg and vanilla essence.
  3. Mix evenly.
  4. Fold in the flour and mix into a dough.
  5. Roll dough into 9g balls each.
  6. Flatten the dough with your palms.
  7. Place the mars cubes in the middle and fold the dough to cover it.
  8. Roll the combination into ball.
  9. Gently press it on some sugar. (So when the sugar melt from baking, the puff gets a shiny top)
  10. Baked in tray lined with baking paper for 8 to10 minutes in preheated oven at 150C.
  11. Cool on wire rack before storing.
  • Click HERE for printer-friendly version of an original recipe.

2 comments:

  1. Oooi! Crispy outside, but melting Chocolate inside! Yummy! That was very creative baking you have there! I like it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rose,
    Thanks! It was just my experiment and I was surprised that it turn out well too. I was prepared to dump them in the trash bin. :P

    ReplyDelete