AdSense

Tuesday, January 31, 2012

King Ribs
排骨王


I have always liked King Ribs 排骨王, one of the popular dishes from zi char stall 煮炒店. I was never close to making the sauce till one day, while grocery shopping in a supermarket, I overheard 2 aunties discussing it. I approached them and asked if they could share with me the recipe. :P They shared the 3 main sauces needed to make the concoction and the rest if up to me to decipher.

I would never have guessed that the sauces used were so 'ang mo', mainly A1 sauce, HP sauce and Worcestershire sauce. I have the last 2 sauces but not A1 sauce and found it in Cold Storage. In fact you can get the 3 sauces in Cold Storage if you have none of the sauces

After experimenting a couple of times, I'm pleased with what I have come out with. I have been making this a few times now. The sauce goes well with ribs and pork chops. Not a good idea to use thinly sliced meat though.


Ingredients:
  • 350g Pork Ribs or Pork Chops

Marinade:
  • 1 egg
  • 2 tablespoon Oyster Sauce
  • 1/4 teaspoon Salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon Sugar
  • 1/2 teaspoon Baking Powder
  • 1 tablespoon Corn Flour

Sauce:
  • 1 1/2 tablespoon A1 Steak Sauce
  • 1 1/2 tablespoon HP Sauce
  • 1/2 tablespoon Worcestershire Sauce
  • 1 1/2 tablespoon Sugar
  • 5 tablespoon Water
  • 1 tablespoon Corn Flour

How to do it:
  1. Marinate pork in the marinade for at least an hour.
  2. Deep fry the pork till cooked.
  3. Mix sauce well and pour into a wok.
  4. Bring to a gentle simmer.
  5. Add in the pork and toss to coat well with sauce.
  6. Dish and serve.

9 comments:

  1. Hi Wokking Mum,

    How do you tell the oil is right for deep-fry? I'm not a great cook, still exploring. Thanks in advance for your advice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oil should be hot but not smoking. When you put in the food to fry, it should start to sizzle.

      Delete
  2. Hi! Love to eat this dish, going to try this tomorrow. Can I check with u what other dishes can I cook with steak sauce n HP sauce, other than this n steak?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's the first time for me using A1 steak sauce. Will explore more on that. For HP sauce, you can add in to marinate ribs. Try adding to the sauce of your sweet and sour pork. Taste good too.

      Delete
  3. Hi Working Mum,

    What is the purpose of using baking powder in the marinate? Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi,

    Wish to ask can i omit the steak sauce?

    Thanks
    Elaine ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can but there will be some difference in the taste.

      Delete